Translate

Thursday 28 February 2013

Cards for Mojo Monday Sketch Challenge



Today I decided it's time I participate in blog competitions. Even though I'm new to the blogging world I am not new to crafts. I decided to enter for the Mojo Monday Sketch Challenge which for this week is called Round or Square. So I went ahead and made one of each. I didn't deviate much from the sketch images but had fun playing around with different elements.

First up is the round card. I chose a cheery yellow cardstock from the Brights Collection of Grant Studio. I must admit I thought they would be a lot thicker. Turns out they're quite flimsy. So I used a thick cardstock I've bought in bulk as backing. I cut the circles using the Martha Stewart large circle cutter and went around the yellow circle with scalloped scissors (great tip for those who don't have scallop edge dies, you're welcome!). I went around the edge with black ink and a sponge to create shading.

I embossed both the circles using the Cuttlebug Polka dots embossing folder.

'Celebrate'

I layered a white paper doily on top and chose polka dot patterned paper to layer on top for the sentiment and banner.



I stamped the 'celebrate' sentiment using Micia Old Hand black ink pad and a stamp from Unity Stamp Co.

Close up of rosette

I made a black paper rosette. I punched the edge using Martha Stewart Doily Edge punch before I scored the lines and made the rosette. I added some yellow pearls around the sentiment and finished off the rosette with a white pearl in its center.

Close up showing sentiment and pearls
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


For the square card, I chose a baby girl theme. I just love baby themed anything though I cannot say i particularly like babies. All in good time I suppose.

I chose a pale pink cardstock to get started. I cut it so that the folded card forms a 15cm square. I went around the edges in a pink Micia Old Hand ink and sponge to create a smudged effect. I chose a patterned paper from the Baby Girl 2 stack I got from Lulupu and cut that into a 12cm square to paste in the center. I punched a hole in the top left corner and threaded a ribbon through it.


'She's perfect'

The other colours i chose to go with this card are a pale yellow and brown. I stamped a background using swirls from a clear stamp set and wrote the sentiment, 'she's perfect' by hand in brown. I didnt want to make a rosette or add a plain circle so I punched out circles using a Jef punch and added faux stitching on them to make them look like buttons. I arranged these 'buttons' in a circle and added a thick button (made by sticking 6 little circles together) stamped with a swirl right in the center.

Sentiment and button detail

Ribbon detail

Thanks for stopping by and hope you enjoyed the two cards! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment